Matters India |Tuesday, November 21, 2017
Here: Home » Youth » Attack on Australian team bus, suspects arrested

Attack on Australian team bus, suspects arrested 

Guwahati: Australia’s cricket squad suffered a scare after a stone was thrown at their bus on its return to a city hotel from the Barsapara Cricket Stadium in Guwahati.

The incident took place on October 10 night after Australia defeated India by eight wickets in the second Twenty20 International (T20I).

“Pretty scary having a rock thrown through the team bus window on the way back to the hotel!!” Australian batsman Aaron Finch wrote on Twitter, posting a picture of the broken window of the bus.

No one was, however, injured.

Australia also witnessed a similar incident during their tour of Bangladesh last month.

The Barsapara Stadium hosted its first international match on October 10.

Federal Sports Minister Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore took stock of the situation and said that the incident did not reflect the condition of the security measures in the country. He talked about how Australian team and FIFA authorities are content with the security in the country and India will always remain a graceful host.

He also spoke to Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal about the incident. He added, “Personal security of visiting athletes and teams is extremely important to us.”

Guwahati is also one of the six cities in the country hosting the FIFA U17 World Cup the incident post the match doesn’t reflect very well on the city.

The newly constructed Barsapara Stadium was opened by Sonowal earlier on October 10.

Two accused were taken into police custody in connection with the incident and Sonowal directed the Chief Secretary to conduct an inquiry into the incident and submit a report. He had earlier directed DGP Assam to immediately nab culprits.

Sonowal issued a statement condemning the attack on the team and promised to take the strictest action possible.

He said, “Really unfortunate incident after a great game aimed to tarnish Guwahati’s reputation as emerging sports hub. We strongly condemn it. Vow to take the strictest action against the culprits. The investigation is in full swing & Police have already picked up 2 suspects.”

He added, “Yesterday, we had a great game. We had the best audiences. People of Assam are biggest sports lovers & great hosts. People of Assam don’t approve this. #FIFAU17WC going on in Guwahati. FIFA & all teams expressed their satisfaction at our arrangements. Yesterday, we witnessed a spectacular game & great display of sportsman spirit by the audience. Both teams were given a rousing welcome.

He warned the troublemakers against such actions, “Performances by both the teams were hailed by the audience, expressing people’s commitment towards turning Assam as Sports Capital of India. So, whoever got indulged in the hooliganism did it on the sole objective of defaming Assam & derailing its journey towards the top. That’s a design we will foil with the support of the people of Assam. Culprits will face the full force of law & given an exemplary punishment.”

Have Something to Say? Comment on Facebook

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons